Generally, when people are not sure what to do, they look to others for Guidance. They often share their feelings, emotions and consecutive actions to the dearest and the nearest ones. The several researches and findings show that people have become resilient and able to solve the problems and issues of their life with the help of family, peers and nearest ones unless of severe mental health issues. Every individual in this universe is goal directed, purposeful and wants to do something in life. Sometimes people need assistance-ship and help in order to function properly.
There are several helping professionals to work with the people for their betterment and wellbeing. Life Coaching is one of them. Life coaching formally emerged during the 1980s and grew in popularity throughout the 1990s and 2000s. Some of the earliest life coaching focused on life planning, but the field eventually broadened to encompass other life areas including relationships, finances, careers.
What is a Life Coach?
A life coach is an individual, trained in relevant areas of psychology and life coaching, helps people to make progress in their lives in order to attain greater fulfillment. Life coaches assist their clients in improving their relationships, careers and day-to-day lives. Life coaching is working with the individuals to bring out their best potentials, to really reach into them and show them the tools they already have.
Five Signs You Need a Life Coach
- When you feel STUCK: When you feel stuck, you are not making any progress. You feel like running in the loop.
- When you need CLARITY: May be you are facing a big decision in your life or you feel like unfulfilled and ready to burn it all down, leave your job, quit the relationships. You really have to talk to somebody before you do that.
- When you think YOU NEED TO RELAX : The hectic jobs and extra responsibilities might make you agitated. You struggle to have a peaceful rest and sleep; but you can’t do it.
- When you think that YOU NEED DISCIPLINE : You are somebody who have immense of knowledge; but you really struggle when it comes to implementing or applying it.
- You feel like I NEED BALANCE: Work-life Balance and healthy functional life is essential. You need to acquire the life skills in order to make your life meaningful. The tools and techniques are within you and they need to come out; and Life Coaches do that.
THERAPISTS VS LIFE COACHES
- Psychotherapists treat mental illness while Coaches do not
What is therapy?
Therapy, also called counseling or psychotherapy, is a long-term process in which a client works with a healthcare professional to diagnose and resolve problematic beliefs, behaviors, relationship issues, feelings and sometimes physical responses. The idea behind therapy is to focus on past traumas and issues to change self-destructive habits, repair and improve relationships and work through painful feelings. In this sense, therapy focuses on the past and on introspection and analysis, with the hope of resolving past issues and creating a happier, more stable future.
What is life coaching?
In life coaching, a client works with a coach who is not a healthcare professional to clarify goals and identify obstacles and problematic behaviors in order to create action plans to achieve desired results. The main way that a life coach vs. therapist works is that the life coach takes the client’s current starting point as an acceptable neutral ground and is more action-based from that point onward. A life coach enables the person receiving treatment to take control of their life and take action to steer it toward their goals.
Although, Life Coaches do not need any formal qualifications or academic training; nowadays there are so many training regarding Life Coaching in Udemy and other virtual sites. Lately, it is found out that the professionals who have a degree in psychology are also practicing Life Coaching. I am one of them.